Living in the UK

Points of contact in the UK

This article provides information for a number of useful points of contact that you may need whilst in the UK.

Emergency services

There are three main emergency services available in the UK. These are the:

  • Police service
  • Fire service
  • Ambulance service

To access these services, you can call 999 or 112. These numbers are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

If you are deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment then you can also contact the emergency services via SMS by registering your phone on the emergencySMS website. British Sign Language (BSL) speakers can make a free video call to 999 using the 999 BSL website or app.

You should call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured, or their life is at risk.

Non-Emergency Medical Assistance

111: Non-emergency number for the NHS.

NHS 111 is a contact line for quick medical help in a non-life-threatening situation. They can help if you have an urgent medical problem that is not an emergency issue and you’re not sure what to do.

Non-Emergency Police Assistance

101: Non-emergency number for the police.

101 can be called to report a crime that is not an emergency. For example:

  • Your car or property has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or related crime in your neighborhood
  • Share information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police

You should always call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is a danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

HMRC is the UK’s tax, payments and customs authority. They collect the money that pays for the UK’s public services and help families and individuals with targeted financial support.

There are numerous departments within HMRC, so contact information differs depending on the department that you need and the nature of your enquiry.

Income Tax: General Enquires
Tax credits: general enquiries
Child Benefit: general enquiries
National Insurance: general enquiries
All other HMRC enquiries

Union support

The British Medical Association (BMA) is the trade union and professional body for doctors in the UK. To find out more about what the BMA does, visit their website.

You can contact the BMA by phone (0300 123 1233), email ( or by web chat.


The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), holds more than 50 million driver records and more than 40 million vehicle records.

They’re responsible for:

  • recording driver endorsements, disqualifications and medical conditions
  • issuing photocard driving licences
  • issuing vehicle registration certificates to vehicle keepers
  • taking enforcement action against vehicle tax evaders
  • registering and issuing tachograph cards
  • selling DVLA personalised registrations
  • helping the police and intelligence authorities deal with crime
  • providing anonymised data to those who have the right to use the service

You can contact the DVLA for help with things like:

  • vehicle tax or a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • driving licences and applications
  • number plates and log books (V5C documents)
  • health conditions and driving

Use this online service to find the right phone number, email or postal address.

Workplace queries

To discuss any workplace-related queries or concerns, you should contact either your line manager or the HR department.

For information about the main urgent and emergency services available in the UK, visit: