Visas and Immigration

Biometric Residence Permit

What is a Biometric Residence Permit?

A biometric residence permit (BRP Card) is a card that will hold your name, date and place of birth, facial image, fingerprints, immigration status and the entitlements that you are eligible for whilst you are in the UK.

You’ll get a biometric residence permit (BRP) if you:

  • Have applied to come to the UK for longer than 6 months
  • Extend your visa to a period longer than 6 months
  • Have Applied to settle in the UK
  • Transfer your visa to a new passport

Provided that your visa application is approved, you’ll automatically get a Biometric Residence Permit. 

What information is on my Biometric Residence Permit?

Your BRP card will include:

  • your name, date and place of birth
  • your fingerprints and a photo of your face 
  • your migration status and any conditions of your stay
  • details of whether you can access public funds (such as benefits and health services)

Note that your BRP card is also likely to contain your NI (National Insurance) number on the back.

Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit

When applying for your visa, you‘ll be asked to choose a location to collect your BRP card once you have arrived in the UK. 

You can collect your BRP from a Post Office branch or directly from your sponsor.

We recommend that, if you opt for the BRP to be sent to a Post Office branch, you carefully select a location that this is nearby to the hospital that you’ll be working in. 

Usually, you must pick up your BRP card before the vignette sticker in your travel document expires or within 10 days of arriving in the UK (whichever is later).

What to do if your BRP card is lost or stolen

You can report your BRP permit lost or stolen from in or outside of the UK, but it’s important to know that you can only order a replacement from inside of the UK

You must apply for a replacement within 3 months of losing your BRP. Furthermore, you will not be able to use it again if you find it after you have reported it.

The Home Office will contact you within one working day from whenever you have reported your BRP lost or stolen.

A replacement BRP costs £154

Click here for more information on what you should do if your BRP Card is lost or stolen.

Can you begin work in the UK before collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card)?

You are able to begin work without your BRP however, the Home Office strongly advise that you collect your BRP prior to starting work. 

If you start work prior to collecting your BRP, you will need to be able to evidence your right to work in the UK.

If you’re interested in working in the UK and would like to discuss the positions available in your specialty, and how we can assist you, please contact our team.