This article provides details about the UK Standard Visit Visa, including the cost, eligibility criteria and ‘permitted activities’.
- What is a Standard Visitor visa?
- The eligibility criteria for a Standard Visitor visa in the UK
- What are the ‘permitted activities’?
- The cost of a Standard Visitor visa for the UK
- What to do before applying for a Standard Visitor visa for the UK
What is a Standard Visitor visa?
You can visit the UK s a Standard Visitor for tourism, business, studying (courses up to 6 months) and other permitted activities. You can usually stay for 6 months but may be able to apply for longer in certain circumstances, such as to get medical treatment.
The eligibility criteria for a Standard Visitor visa in the UK
You need a passport or travel document to enter the UK and it must be valid throughout your stay. You must be able to show that:
- You’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit
- You’re able to support yourself and your dependants during your trip (or have funding from someone else to help you)
- You’re able to pay for your return or onward journey
- You’ll not live in the UK for extended periods through recent or successive visits, or make the UK your main home
You may need to meet extra criteria and requirements if you’re visiting the UK:
- to study, do a placement or take an exam
- as an academic, senior doctor or dentist
- for medical reasons
What are the ‘permitted activities’?
You can visit the UK as a Standard Visitor:
- For tourism such as a holiday
- To see your family and friends
- To volunteer for up to 30 days with a registered charity
- To pass through the UK to another country
- For certain business activities, such as attending a meeting or interview
- To take part in a school exchange programme
- To do a recreational course of up to 30 days
- To study, do a placement or take an exam
- As an academic, senior doctor or dentist
- For medical reasons
The cost of a Standard Visitor visa for the UK
A Standard Visitor visa costs £100 for up to 6 months and the earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel. If you visit the UK regularly, you have an option to apply for a long term Standard Visitor visa.
What to do before applying for a Standard Visitor visa for the UK
Depending on your nationality, you may be able to visit the UK for up to 6 months without needing a visa. If this is the case, you must still meet the Standard Visitor eligibility requirements to visit the UK.
You may be asked questions at the UK border about your eligibility and the activities you plan to do.
To find out more information about applying for a Standard Visitor visa for the UK, visit the government website page here.