Visas and Immigration

Skilled Worker: Dependant visas

If you hold, or are applying for, a Skilled Worker visa then your family members (‘dependant’s) can apply to come with you. To do this, they’ll need to meet the eligibility criteria and provide the necessary documents detailed in this article. 

Who is eligible to apply as a dependant?

A dependant partner or child is any of the following:

  • your husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner
  • your child under 18 – including if they were born in the UK during your stay
  • your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as your dependant

You’ll need to provide evidence of your relationship when you apply.

How to apply as a dependant and what’s required?

Your dependants must apply for their visa online. You can find the application links for your partner and child here.

For your partner, you must be able to prove that either:

  • you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK
  • you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply

If your child is 16 or over, they must:

  • live with you (unless they’re in full-time education at boarding school, college or university)
  • not be married, in a civil partnership or have any children
  • be financially supported by you

If your child lives with you, you’ll need to provide evidence of their address such as:

  • a bank statement
  • credit card bills
  • driving licence
  • NHS registration document
  • an official letter from their university or college

Money they need to support themselves

Your partner and children must have a certain amount of money available to support themselves while they’re in the UK.

You – or your partner or child – will need:

  • £285 for your partner
  • £315 for one child
  • £200 for each additional child

You – or your partner or child – will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of you or them applying for this visa.

You’ll usually need to show proof of this when they apply, unless either:

  • you have all been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months
  • your employer can cover your family’s costs during your first month in the UK – this must be confirmed on your certificate of sponsorship

Proof of identity

As part of their application, your partner and children will need to prove their identity.

They’ll either:

  • have their fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre – this is to get a biometric residence permit
  • use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan their identity document – they’ll also create or sign in to their UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account

They’ll be told what they need to do when they apply.

If they do need an appointment:

  • the visa application centre may need to keep their passport and documents while they process their application
  • they may have to travel to get to their nearest centre (this could be in another country)

Other documents which may be required are:

  • Their Passport and ID cards
  • Their original birth certificate or marriage certificate
  • Any previous passports
  • TB clearance certificate (if required

Applying from outside of the UK

Each family member will need to complete a separate application and pay the visa fee.

They’ll also need your application number – you’ll get this when you apply. This number is called a Global Web Form (GWF) or a Unique Application Number (UAN). You’ll find it on emails and letters from the Home Office about your application.

Getting a decision

Once your dependants have applied online, proved their identity and provided their documents, they’ll usually get a decision within 3 weeks.

They may be able to pay to get their visa faster or use other services depending on which country they’re in – check this with the visa application centre.